LinkWithin

Clarke succeeds Ponting as Australia captain

Written By ADMIN on Tuesday 29 March 2011 | 23:55

Melbourne, Mar 30 (PTI) Michael Clarke was today appointed as Australia''s Test and ODI captain, a day after his mentor Ricky Ponting stepped down from the post following their shocking World Cup exit.
According to a Cricket Australia statement, Clarke, who was long seen as Ponting''s successor, will take charge of the team in the upcoming three-match ODI series in Bangladesh


All-rounder Shane Watson will be Clarke''s deputy in both Tests and ODIs while Cameron White will continue to lead Australia''s Twenty20 side, the statement added.



"I just want to say what a honour it is to be named captain of Australia and a huge surprise to see Ricky stand down," Clarke, who turns 30 on Saturday, said at a news conference in Sydney.
"I have always respected those who have come before me in this role and humbled to think of my name being mentioned alongside theirs."


Ponting, who led Australia in more than 300 Test and ODIs, has also found a place in the Bangladesh-bound team where he would be taking orders from his former deputy.

But Clarke laughed off suggestions that Ponting was "the elephant in the room" and said the short Bangladesh series will provide him with an opportunity to strike the right chord with his former captain.
"I certainly don''t think Ricky is any elephant in any room," he said.
"He''s been an amazing player for a long time and I know Ricky will allow me to do my job to the best of my ability.

Bangladesh will be a great test for that to see how it all unfolds.
"I''m confident that if he can continue to play as well as he has done for such a long time, I''m certain it can work," added Clarke, who is Australia''s 43rd Test skipper.

Ranked a lowly fifth in Test matches and suffering from the Ashes loss at home as well as the shocking World Cup ouster, Australian cricket is presently at its lowest ebb.



But Clarke expressed optimism that Australia has the talent and potential to regain their numero uno status in world cricket.

"The key for me is we go back to old-fashioned basics.

That''s batting, bowling and fielding. I''m not going to reinvent the wheel," he said.
"We want to be the best team in all forms and that is going to take time."

He also said hoped the responsibility of captaincy would help him in regaining his form, which has dipped in the recent past. .